L’explorateur Mike Horn secouru en urgence dans l’Arctique

Mike Horn secouru en urgence dans l'Arctique


Mike Horn a bien failli mourir de faim et d’épuisement

L'aventurier et son ami norvégien, qui tentaient de traverser à ski de fond spécialement équipés l'océan Arctique, ont dû renoncer après avoir pris du retard. Ils étaient à court de vivres et affrontaient un froid extrême. Un brise-glace les a récupérés.

L'aventurier sud-africain et star du petit écran Mike Horn, 53 ans, et l'ex-skieur de fond norvégien Børge Ousland, 57 ans, ont été secourus par le bateau brise-glace Lance après plus de 80 jours au milieu de l’Arctique.

Le présentateur de "A l’état sauvage" et "Cap Horn" sur M6, a bien failli mourir de faim et d’épuisement lors de son expédition à skis dans le Pôle Nord.

Mike Horn et Børge Ousland s'étaient lancés fin septembre dans une traversée de l’océan Arctique. Une expédition dangereuse en raison de la couche de glace inhabituellement fine en raison du réchauffement climatique.

Cet aléa majeur a rallongé leur aventure : il arrivait que certains jours, la dérive de la banquise les faisait reculer malgré leur progression à ski. Du coup, ce retard a réduit leurs rations de nourriture.

Mike Horn et son compagnon d'expédition tiraient durant sept à huit heures par jour leurs traîneaux. Ils ont en outre fait face à des variations de températures inhabituelles pour la saison, passant en quelques jours de -2°C à -45°C.

On ignore encore pour le moment l'état de santé de l'explorateur et de son ami, victimes de gelures.

Voir cette publication sur Instagram

Expedition Update 34: Safe to say that I’ve had easier weekends in my life as an explorer. After last week’s endless obstacles and difficulties, @borgeousland and I are grateful to start the new week with a fresh mindset. Today, despite our sores (as seen on this photo), we are feeling tired but unstoppable…we know the end is near, so now, we must gather up the strength we have left, and fight to get there. What better way to start the week than with a massive storm?! We therefore had no choice but to set camp and wait for the chaos to pass before we can confidently venture outside again. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise in some weird way…our bodies were really in need of some rest after the physical and emotion exhaustion we went through over the weekend. Although we have rarely been in such a bad storm, the bright and uplifting side is this! Finally the wind is in our favour pushing us towards the south, rather than back to the north. This good news certainly gave us an energy boost, and the confidence that maybe we will be able to end this expedition the way we have initially planned. This unexpected turn of events must be due to all the positive vibes you have been sending our way. @AnnikaHorn and @JessicaaHorn have been updating me with your messages of support and I can only admit that this has been giving us the kick of energy we needed. It is a hostile world up here…and the constant unstable conditions have made it quite clear that we are not welcome here. In some twisted way, I ask myself if nature has been taking it out on us because of the manner in which we humans have been treating and respecting our planet…one thing is certain, something is obviously not quite right. With just over one week of food rations left, we are carefully planning each and every next step. We are longing to get home, but there is no giving up…we are here to fight until the very end. Thank you all for your heart-warming support, we will be keeping you closely updated! #NorthPoleCrossing #Pole2Pole #MikeHorn

Une publication partagée par Mike Horn (@mikehornexplorer) le